Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Distorted Memories

Distorted Memories

My family has many memories captured on film. We keep them in albums, create books from them, and have a multitude of loose photographs. We pass them along to one another to share and enjoy the moments captured on film. Its funny though, because many of us cut up or draw on the fronts and backs of the photographs. It is just something we have always done. We cut up an image to single out an individual or specific moment, and we write upon the images, I believe, for memories sake. Are we afraid we won't remember the moment after we have stopped looking upon the photograph? Many of these images are of myself, but I cannot mentally recall any of these events. But I keep them and share them in hopes to remember a moment in my life, or a moment in the life of my family members that was  special enough to capture on film. These distorted memories are covered with text, textures, and abuse that they were susceptible to throughout the years. They are coveted images that families treat as a prized possession; prized because these moments cannot be re-created physically or mentally. 











 
 


 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment